Monday, December 1, 2014

Social Justice Project

Social Justice Project
By: Kyra Birenbaum 802





* * * * *
Article Citation: Goldstein, Joseph. "Newark Stop-and-Frisk Data Is Analyzed." The New York Times. The New York Times, 24 Feb. 2014. Web. 21 Nov. 2014.


This is an example of injustice because it gives examples of how Stop and Frisk discriminates racially. For example it states, “ ‘We have serious concern regarding the high volume of stops, racial disparity of who is getting stopped and the fact that 75 percent of stops targeted people who engaged in no wrongdoing,’ Mr. Ofer said.” This is an injustice to be who are innocent and are being stopped because of their race. It is all about stereotypes and that is unfair.
This relates to me because, if innocent people keep getting stopped because of how they look, what if a guilty person does not get stopped because of how they look. What is the police stereotype a person who is actually guilty but their stereotype does not portray them as guilty. This could mean I, as well as others are in danger.

* * * * * *

List of Situations Unfair to Human Rights:
  • Racism- on the news, protests in NYC and other areas, talking about it on social media, other media.
  • Sexism- boys excluding girls from sports, sexist language
  • Bullying/Gossip

After I observed my surroundings, I found many cases of racism. It seems like every time I turn on the television, or radio, or go on any website, there is a story about a white police officer physically abusing people of other races. Then a few days after that, I learn they are not brought to justice. With cases of a white officer shooting a black teenager, which have been very common, the officers are always providing the same excuse about how they thought the black teenager was threatening them, or they thought the teen was carrying a gun. After that, judges look at the racial stereotype of black teenagers and believe the officer, when the teenager is clearly innocent.
It is not fair to discriminate against people because of their race. We are all equal, despite religion, race, or gender. We all have our rights and it is not okay for people to abuse that. Yes, you are allowed freedom of speech and your own opinion, but when it escalates to physical abuse and threats, there shouldn’t be any tolerance for it.

* * * * 
I interviewed Denise Woods:

Q: What do you think is ‘good’ about our world?
A: I think the fact that we have our freedom, we have rights such as, freedom of speech and the right to bear arms is important. I also think how we have the freedom to vote and that women are being heard louder now than even before is very important and amazing as well.

Q: What do you think is unfair about our world?
A: I think that African American women, men, and children are still subjects to police brutality and discrimination is completely unfair and sickening. We [African Americans] are still being stereotyped by others and they think that all people of color are the same. It is unfair to be subjected to this type of discrimination and horrible that we are still victims of police brutality and other physical harm.

I completely agree with Denise. It is very important that women are being heard about all the unfair treatment people give to them. I also think that our rights and freedom are very important.
I also agree with what Denise said about African Americans being victims to police brutality and still being discriminated against. She brought up an important part that some people don’t give much thought to. People just think about African Americans being stereotyped but they might not realize that by being stereotyped, people still think of them as all the same. They don’t look at them as individuals, they look at blacks as all fitting into their stereotype.

 * * * * * *

On November 25, 2014 the eleven o’clock news, Channel 4, was showing the protest in New York City, about the shooting in Ferguson. Protesters were flooding the streets, fighting to be heard. When I was watching, I realized how important it was that people were protesting. It seems no one is trying to stop all of this police brutality, so it is continuing. Maybe if people protest enough, the message will finally be heard and people of power will make a greater effort to stopping it.
When I put myself in the protesters shoes, I realize how scared I probably would be. Not only scared for me, but scared for others as well. For example, I know that we have the right of freedom of speech, but considering all that is going on, I don’t think police officers care about about rights anymore. There have been videos of police officers pepper spraying, beating, and worse to peaceful protestors. So being there, wouldn’t make me feel too safe. Kind of ironic how people should feel safer with the presence of police, but instead people are fearing them and trying to teach them about the rights of others. I would probably also feel furious. Considering how some people won’t get the message. However, I would also be proud, for standing up and fighting for what I believe in and for what’s right.

* * * * * * 

Zane Birenbaum changes the world every day. He is very loyal to his friends, family, and others that he cares for. He helps people who are struggling with a tough situation and does his best to make them feel better. He really helps people out, which is important because if a person is having a bad day, someone going out of their way to be nice can change their mood.


Q: How do you think you change the world everyday for the  people who are close to you?
A: I try to help people either improve from or get through situations. When my friend is having a bad day, I try hard to make them feel better. Also, at Stuyvesant, a lot of my friends were really stressed, so I would try and help them through it.

Q: What is something you try to do everyday to make the world a ‘better’ place?
A: Well, I always try and be nice to people. I would hate it if I was having a bad day and someone was purposely rude to me, so I make sure not to do that to someone else. It’s little things like holding the door open or picking things up for people if they drop them.

Q: What is one situation you remember going out of your way to help someone else?
A: This one time at my old school, I saw a kid fall down the stairs. I was late to class but his bag kind of exploded it looked like and it was empty. I helped him pick up his things and made sure he was okay before I left. I didn’t think much of it, but he saw me in the hallway later that day and thanked me.
Q: Besides helping people, what other ways to you change the world?
A: I recycle a lot and don’t let things go to waste.


* * * * *

Song: Secrets
Artist: Mary Lambert Lyrics found at: http://www.lyrics.com/secrets-lyrics-mary-lambert.html

“(Okay game face, here we go)

I've got bipolar disorder
My shits not in order
I'm overweight
I'm always late
I've got too many things to say

I rock mom jeans
Cat earrings
Extrapolate my feelings

My family is dysfunctional
But we have a good time killing each other

They tell us from the time were young
To hide the things that we don't like about ourselves
Inside ourselves
I know I'm not the only one who spent so long
Attempting to be someone else
Well I'm over it

I don't care if the world know what my secrets are, secrets are
I don't care if the world knows what my secrets are, secrets are
So what, so what
So what, so what

I can't think straight
I'm so gay
Sometimes I cry
A whole day
I care a lot
Use an analog clock
And never know when to stop

And I'm passive aggressive
I'm scared of the dark and the dentist
I love my butt, and won't gonna shut up
And I never really grew up

They tell us from the time were young
To hide the things that we don't like about ourselves
Inside ourselves
I know I'm not the only one
Who spent so long attempting to be someone else
Well I'm over it

I don't care if the world know what my secrets are, secrets are
I don't care if the world knows what my secrets are, secrets are
So what, so what
So what, so what

I don't care if the world know what my secrets are, secrets are
I don't care if the world knows what my secrets are, secrets are
So what, so what
So what, so what
So what, so what”



Analysis/ Interpretation:

I think this song is about stigma and hiding who you are because society only looks at the stigma and stereotype behind your feelings. In the chorus, Mary Lambert sings about society teaching us to hide who we really are, which really means we are acting like someone we are not. In the song, Lambert lists different things about herself, and those things have stigmas behind them that others judge you for.
Movie: Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

Most actors and actresses in Hollywood are portrayed as loving their bodies, even though they are very skinny. ‘Normal’ teens are skinny with perfect hair, perfect teeth, fashionable, and just overall perfect. Hollywood boosts actors up then takes pleasure in tearing them down when they make a mistake (who knew they were actually human). Generally, most of the actors and actresses are white, especially on Disney Channel. I don’t watch Disney Channel anymore, but I remember that most TV shows consisted of mostly white, skinny characters. It isn’t good for younger kids to grow up, watching perfect people and wishing to be like them. Even worse, realizing they are not those characters/actors and hating themselves because of it.
The characters in TV shows/movies are usually ‘realistic’. They may have family issues or they may have a wonderful, close family with no important issues. Those characters are either struggling with money, or are in a perfectly fine financial state. I think that people are trying to make TV shows/movies realistic and relate to everybody, but are trying too hard. What I mean is, they are trying to make the characters relate to everybody in some way, but not everyone are going through ‘normal’ struggles. I also think they portray certain struggles in the wrong way.

No comments:

Post a Comment